Botulinum treatment in aesthetic medicine is not something that sounds strange or unsafe in the twenty-first century. It is a well-known fact that botulinum toxin is widely used in both cosmetology and medicine, so we decided it would be a good idea to understand two of the most popular types better. We will also discuss the products medical professionals use most often in their practice. Stay tuned and learn with us!
Types of botulinum used in botulinum toxin treatment
As it was already mentioned above, two types of botulinum toxins are wildly used for treating people - botulinum type A and type B. Even though both of them have botulinum in their base, the purposes and areas of use are completely different and should not be confused. Those can only be used by fully trained, experienced medical professionals in specialized clinics, so there would be no complications or severe side effects. Botulinum toxin injection type A is usually meant for aesthetic concerns when type B is various muscles disorders. So now, let's read more about the use of botulinum toxin, its optimal dose, target areas, and how you can improve your health with its help.
Our new article Botox for Bladder Overactivity will help you understand the specifics of using Botox to solve various problems. Visit our article first.
Botulinum toxin type A
Botulinum type A - a substance produced from bacterium Clostridium botulinum strains. It has got its FDA approval and is safe for patients after a careful manufacturing process. Its main purpose is to stop muscles from contracting and stiffness and, in this way, deal with a whole bunch of health problems (which are mainly include various chronic pain disorders).
It comes in the form of tiny crystals and should be dissolved in sterile sodium chloride solution right before the actual injection. After mixing, the product should be used in 24 hours; after that, the vial should be thrown away in a proper way.
Speaking about type A botulinum toxin use, this type of medication can be used to solve the following problems in patients:
- Chronic migraine headaches. Migraine - a splitting headache that lasts 15 days per month with durability 4 hours per day or longer;
- Urinary incontinence. People with overactive bladder symptoms can experience urinary frequency and urgency on a regular basis;
- Neurogenic detrusor overactivity (NDO). This one is mainly used in patients of 5 years old and older who are intolerant to anticholinergic medicines;
- Spasticity. It can be used for clients 2 years of age and older;
- Treating cervical dystonia. It perfectly deals with severe neck pain, neck weakness, as well as abnormal head position;
- Excessive sweating. The problem of axillary hyperhidrosis can be quickly solved with the help of just one procedure;
- Facial rejuvenation. Botulinum toxin type A can be used in aesthetic medicine to prevent facial wrinkles in people. Unlike dermal fillers, after the administration, muscle nerve endings are blocked and, in this way, cannot contract and stimulate folds and creases appearance. It can be used for marionette lines (lateral orbicularis oris muscle), frown lines in the forehead area, smiley wrinkles, etc. Botox cosmetic treatment gives a temporary improvement, so the procedure should be repeated every 3-4 months.
Botulinum toxin type B
Intramuscular botulinum toxin type B injection - in medicine is mainly used with hemagglutinin and nonhemagglutinin complexing proteins as a neurotoxin complex. It contains 5000 units of botulinum per milliliter and usually comes in vials in the form of colorless or yellowish solutions.
It is a prescription medication for a nonsurgical treatment that can be used for solving such health problems in patients as:
- Cervical (spasmodic) dysphonia. It is followed by extreme neck pain and incorrect head position;
- Chronic sialorrhea. Controls glands that make saliva in patients.
It can also be used in combination with other types of treatment for different muscle-related conditions.
The most popular botulinum toxin injections brands
Now, when we know more about botulinum neurotoxin injections, let's have a closer look at medications with this substance in their base. Even though they include the same active ingredient, there are still some important differences you should keep in mind. Only a qualified professional can decide which product would work the best for you, as well as the dose, number of sessions, and frequency.
This brand with type A botulinum in its base is produced by the Allergan manufacturer and is the most famous product with this active ingredient. It can be used for both therapeutic and cosmetic purposes. The effect of Botox lasts up to half a year and requires re-injection every 4-5 months in order to keep the effect for a more extended period of time.
Product produced by the French manufacturer Ipsen. It is pretty similar to Botox; however, it is considered to be a more affordable analog. Look at conversion ratio - 1 ml of Dysport equals 4 ml of Botox. Thus, it is easier to save up some money by using Dysport for your clinic.
It also includes type A botulinum as the main ingredient. The product is softer than Botox, so that it can be applied to more sensitive facial areas for appearance improvement and skin rejuvenation. Not only that, but Xeomin can also be stored outside the fridge and tolerate high temperatures without spoiling, thus it is a number-one choice of millions of beauticians during summer.
This is the last product that is based on botulinum type A in our list. Azzalure can be used for dealing with different aesthetic problems in people: crow's feet, smile mimic wrinkles around the mouth, frown lines on the forehead, creases between the eyebrows, etc.
This last brand is botulinum neurotoxin type B medication for stopping uncontrollable muscle contractions. It is mainly used for an issue called cervical dystonia and all unfortunate symptoms followed by that.
Want to know more about using dermal fillers? Then you should visit our article Vaginal Rejuvenation with Dermal Fillers, which describes in detail the areas of use of fillers.
Botulinum type A and type B are substances that are wildly used in the cosmetic field and medicine. With their help, it is possible to deal with different problems in patients, such as hyperhidrosis, chronic migraines, overactive bladder issue, etc. Beauticians also use it to prevent aging signs in people. There are a lot of brands that have products with botulinum in their base out there, and you can easily find those on our website. BeautyDermal - you reliable supplier. Thank you for reading.